Thankfully, the weather in Bangalore has got to its real self. It is very pleasant during the day with Sun playing peak a boo, and the rains blessing us in the evening. Perfect to enjoy that cup of chai sitting by the window sil. Also, our salad and soup supper days are back. We prefer having light dinner, mostly keep it simple and mildly spiced. If you ask my fussy husband for any other cuisine he prefers to have other than Indian, he would instantly jump with joy saying ‘Italian’. On the days, I get to hear such golden words, I do not waste any time in spinning our favourite dishes. I for one reason hate cooking dal-roti everyday – I need variety, I need to see colors on my plate and prefer food bursting with flavours and textures. Also, I love to experiment the age old traditional way of cooking a dish with easy to available ingredients from my pantry.
On the days I run out of cream or cheeses in my pantry and we feel like having juicy, slurpy pasta for supper, I cleverly make use of the healthy Red Bell Pepper to make a lip smacking sauce as a base to the whole wheat pasta. Also, taking into account I cannot include much dairy products into my diet due to my medical condition, this pasta sauce is an absolutely win-win for both of us. It does not contain any dairy, yet it turns as creamy as the one in it. Hence, making it a superb choice for vegans as well.
I have used spaghetti for this dish, but you can make use of any pasta you have in hand. The roasted red bell pepper and garlic impart beautiful flavours into the sauce. I also had fresh rosemary in hand, so I used it along with few garlic slices to flavour the spaghetti too. After all, rosemary and garlic are a match made in heaven.
It is a simple recipe to spin in no time. Try this simple flavourful recipe and serve it to your guests for dinner or lazy brunch along with bruschetta, some crunchy lettuce salad and tiramisu to call it an Italian affair with some chilled wine flowing. 🙂
Spaghetti with Vegan Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce
Ingredients for Vegan Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce
Ingredients for Spaghetti
- Take a big cooking sauce pot, and fill in the water till 3/4 to the rim, add a tablespoon of salt and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add the spaghetti and cook according to the packet instruction. You want to cook the pasta till the Al dente, which translates as ‘to the tooth’ and means it should be soft enough to eat but should still have a bite or firmness to it.
- Once the pasta is done, ladle out a cup of pasta water in a cup to reserve for later. Drain the pasta in a colander over the sink and tip it back into the pot, pour some olive oil massage it and keep aside.
- Heat a wide pan on medium flame, add the olive oil and flavour it with sliced garlic until it is a little brown in colour.
- Add the red chilli flakes and rosemary and stir it for a minute to let the herb induce its flavour further into the oil.
- Toss in the cooked pasta into this and season with salt if needed. Remove it in a bowl and keep aside.
- Now to prepare the sauce, massage the red bell pepper with a little oil and roast it over the stove top till charred On all the sides. Once cooled de-skin it and carefully remove the flesh. Likewise, roast the bulb of garlic.
- Blend the red bell pepper flesh and roasted garlic along with corn starch and red chilli flakes to a chunky consistency using a stick blender or mixer grinder.
- Transfer this blended mix into the wide pan and simmer it for a few minutes, adjust the consistency by adding the reserved pasta water and season with salt.
- To serve, take a wide pasta bowl, ladle out a little pasta sauce into it and swirl a portion of cooked spaghetti over it and garnish with roasted garlic slices or Rosemary.
- Enjoy the flavourful gourmet Spaghetti with Vegan Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce with a glass of wine of your choice to make an interesting weeknight supper.